11.15.2012

Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole

My husband doesn't really like ground beef in tacos, enchiladas, etc. so I decided to make shredded beef enchiladas based on Pioneer Woman's ground beef ones. 

I threw a 2 lb. chuck beef roast in the slow cooker all day on low (about 8 hours) with a large can of diced green chiles and a little water. 

I made the enchilada sauce from PW: 

1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
1 can (28 Ounce) Enchilada Or Red Sauce
2 cups Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a paste, cooking for one minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Once the sauce was done I dipped yellow corn tortillas in the enchilada sauce and laid a layer of them on a greased baking dish overlapping.  Then I added some shredded beef over the top of those.  Then I added some grated cheddar cheese to the top of that.  Then I drizzled (heavily) some sauce to the top of that.  Then I repeated the process, ending with tortillas covered in cheese and sauce on top. 

I did it this way because I didn't want to take the time to fry the tortillas or roll them all into individual enchiladas.  So I guess this is more of a beef enchilada casserole.

Anyway, this was delicious and I definitely prefer the shredded beef.  Top with sour cream and fresh cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment