8.07.2013

Basil Pesto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pasta

I have a ton of basil in my garden and that makes me very, very happy.  It smells and tastes AMAZING.  I also have tons of different types of tomatoes coming up.  I get kind of flustered and feel like I need to use all of my garden produce really quickly, all at once, so I decided to make something with both basil and tomatoes.  I've never made my own pesto, so I decided to give it a try.  I used Pioneer Woman's recipe, except I didn't have access to [expensive] pine nuts, so I used walnuts instead.  Here is the recipe I used:
 
Pesto
§  3/4 cups Fresh Basil Leaves
§  1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
§  3 Tablespoons Walnuts
§  2 cloves Garlic, Peeled
§  Salt And Pepper, to taste
§  1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 
       Add basil leaves, 1/2 cup Parmesan, walnuts, and salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Turn machine on, then drizzle in olive oil while it mixes. Continue blending until combined, adding additional olive oil if needed.
 
After making the pesto I added it to 1 pound of cooked wheat penne pasta, with about 2-3 ounces of goat cheese and a couple handfuls of fresh-from-the-garden cherry tomatoes.  I mixed it all together with a little splash of milk.   It was SERIOUSLY SO GOOD!!!  I loved it.  Will definitely make it again soon. 
 
Goat cheese rocks my world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment