8.09.2011

Tomato Mozzarella Pasta al Forno


Pasta can be frustrating to make sometimes because it often comes out really bland or dry and just not outstanding in any way.  I have tried 3 handfuls of different pastas and loved only a handful.  Last night I made one of the best pastas and it was extremely easy.  Maybe I just loved it so much because of all the cheese, but at any rate... I highly recommend it.

I slightly adapted the recipe from www.annies-eats.net.  Here is the original recipe.

Tomato Mozzarella Pasta al Forno
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced 
3 -14 oz. cans diced Italian plum tomatoes 
2-3 tbsp. Italian seasonings [I like a lot of flavor] 
Salt and pepper    
1 lb. penne pasta 
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 c. parmesan [the green can powdery kind] [I think I probably used more than this but I didn't measure.]
Fresh basil, chopped [optional]
Heat oil in skillet. Add garlic and cook over medium high heat, 1 min. Add tomatoes and Italian seasonings and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally until thickened, 15 min. Add salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook pasta. Toss pasta with sauce. Place half of pasta in an oiled 9×13” dish. Cover with half parmesan and half mozzarella. Top with remaining pasta, then parmesan and mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
I served mine with toasted artisan bread covered with olive oil, basil and tomatoes.
This seriously didn't disappoint.  It was so delicious.  I can't wait to eat leftovers tonight for dinner! 

1 comment: